Q: Does Kitex support Windows？
- Currently Windows is not particularly supported by Kitex.
- If your development environment is Windows, you are suggested to use WSL2.
Q: Does Kitex support HTTP？
- Kitex does not specifically provide HTTP request support, CloudWeGo is expected to open source HTTP framework “Hertz” in the first half of 2022.
- For API gateway scenario, Kitex provides a HTTP mapping generic call regarding Thrift and sends the Thrift encoding of the HTTP request to the server.
Q: How to configure multiplexing?
- If you are using Thrift or Kitex Protobuf, to configure multiplexing:
- Configure WithMuxTransport() on your server.
- Configure WithMuxConnection(1) on your client
- If you are using gRPC, multiplexing is configured by default.
Q: In the scenario of direct local call, why does the configuration of connection pool not take effect?
- The ip of your local test needs to be 127.0.0.1. For example, “client.WithHostPorts(“127.0.0.1:8888”)”.
Q: What are the differences between “Kitex Protobuf” and “gRPC” protocol?
- Kitex Protobuf is a Protobuf Message Protocol defined by Kitex framework, with similar structure to Thrift.
- gRPC provides support to gRPC message protocol and enables Kitex to interact with gRPC framework.
Q: Issues regarding Thrift interface compiling, such as “not enough arguments in call to iprot.ReadStructBegin”
- Based on Thrift v0.13, Kitex cannot be upgraded directly, as there is a breaking change in the interface of Apache Thrift v0.14. The reason for such problems could be that a new version of Thrift is pulled during upgrades. The use of -u parameters is not recommended during upgrades, you can run the following command to fix the version: “go mod edit -replace email@example.com”
Q:‘not enough arguments’ problem when installing the code generation tool
- Please try: “go mod：GO111MODULE=on go get github.com/cloudwego/kitex/tool/cmd/kitex@latest”
Q: Would code generated by new interface overwrite handler.go
- Generated code under kitex_gen/ will be overwritten. But handler.go of server will not be overwritten, only new methods will be added correspondingly.
Q: Do the templates of the code generator support customization?
- We have no plan to support template customization at present, because it will make the design for parameter passing much more complex. And the plugin mechanism can achieve almost any functionality equivalent to a customized template.
Q: Is it possible for the ‘-type’ argument of the code generator to be determined automatically by IDL filename extension? Can the generator use the module name from a go.mod for ‘-module’ if it can find one, and require a value when there is no go.mod or ambiguity exists?
- Further discussion is needed on ‘-type’. Filename extensions are currently restricted to a few choices, but arbitrary value may be supported in the future.
- We’ll consider the advice for ‘-module’.